A high fiber diet provides bulk in the stool and helps keep bowels regular. This diet can be used in relieving symptoms and aid in the prevention and treatment of diverticular disease, hemorrhoids, constipation, colon and rectal cancer, Crohn's disease, Ulcerative Colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, anal fissures, hypercholesterolemia, and obesity.
The recommended daily amount of fiber is 25 to 35 grams per day. Most Americans consume much less than the recommended amount.
- Foods with the most fiber are whole-grain breads and cereals, grains, fruits, and vegetables.
- Scan food labels for bread and cereal products listing whole grain or whole wheat as the first ingredient.
- Chopping, peeling, cooking, pureeing, and processing may reduce fiber content.
- Add more fiber to your diet gradually. If fiber is added too quickly, it may cause gas, cramping, bloating, or diarrhea.
- Drink plenty of fluids while on a high fiber diet: At least 64 ounces (8 glasses) every day.
Breads, Cereals, Rice, Pasta
• Whole-grain/wheat breads, muffins, bagels, or pita bread
• Rye bread
• Whole-grain/wheat crackers
• Whole-grain/wheat or bran cereals
• Oatmeal, oat bran, or grits
• Whole-wheat pasta
• Brown Rice
• Wheat germ
Beans, Legumes, Nuts, Seeds
• All beans and legumes such as: baked, beans
black beans, black-eyed peas, garbanzo
beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, split
peas, pinto beans
• All nuts such as: almonds, Brazil nuts,
cashews, peanuts, peanut butter, pecans,
• All seeds such as: sesame seeds, sunflower
• All vegetables such as: artichokes, asparagus,
broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots,
dark leafy greens, green beans, mushrooms,
onions, peas, peppers, potatoes with skin,
snow peas, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes,
• All fruit such as: apples, avocado, bananas,
berries, grapefruit, kiwi, mangoes, nectarines,
oranges, peaches, pears, plums
• Dried fruit (apricots, dates, raisins, prunes,
You may need to add fiber to your diet with a powder supplement such as Citrucel, Metamucil, or Benefiber.
One spoonful in a glass of water (or juice or gatorade, etc) 1-3 times daily.
You may also try fiber pills or gummy pills that are also available over the counter.